.

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Wrestling free essay sample

I am often asked the question, â€Å"What is it like to wrestle and why do wrestlers cut weight?† I usually can never fully answer the question. Most likely because I do not know why wrestlers cut weight. As a wrestler you think losing weight and wrestling in a smaller weight class will give you an advantage, but I’ve never seen the advantage. In fact, I answer that question by saying, â€Å"Imagine playing your sport, but with half the energy and strength and going all out for three, two minute periods.† Now, some wrestlers do not cut weight at all, or just a couple of pounds, but the majority of us know the feeling of cutting weight. The feeling that gives you mood swings like a woman with PMS. The feeling that you have no strength and energy left inside of you. Your cheeks suck in like you are making a fish face and your lips begin to chap. I explain that boys love me and look at me as their little sister and their biggest support system. The question I always get first after my explanation is â€Å"HOW DID THAT START?† They ask in a different form of shock than before. It is a simple story. As I started my seventh grade year, I was shaky and nervous about middle school and popularity. I met this lanky awkward boy with big ears and bright blue eyes. I watched throughout the year as he went from lanky to built and brawn. I was amazed at his transformation and enthralled. I finally decided to speak to him. So a few months past and we were inseparable, but things were changing. He did not start texting me until later and later at night. I asked him what was going on and he said he wrestled for the high school. That weekend I attended my first tournament in order to watch him. From then on, I was hooked. Like a majority of people that are awestruck about me working with the wrestling team, my parents were dumbfounded. They could only think of sweaty boys and violence. It took a while for them to realize that this was not me participating, but rather managing and gaining leadership. I am often asked if I have ever wrestled myself. Honestly, I could never bring myself to show that determination and dedication to one sport and risk all that they do. Yet, I keep finding myself protecting the sport from the misunderstandings that frame it. Because of this, I have become a major advocate for male and female equivalency. I express my views without reservation, and I have learned to take in the opinions other than my own. I am stronger, not physically, but mentally from this special activity. I have learned that gender is not a matter of who can do what, but how hard the person must work. I love wrestling, and I think wrestling loves me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment